Sunday, May 6, 2012

Going to RIO!

I am going to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil this summer to volunteer with children and create my own adventures.  I will be embarking on a quest to try new things (EXTREME THINGS), meet new people, and see amazing places.  I'm basically gonna do EPIC SH*T!  I am communicating with a man who leads excursions in the Amazon Rainforest.  Brazil is a dangerous place but if I stay smart by avoiding unusual areas and I don't walk around alone while blending in the best that my goofy 6 foot 2 inch WHITE BOY self possibly can, then I should be ok.  If worse comes to worst then I can use my Mixed Martial Arts skills and Urban Defense training to open up a can of woop a** on anyone who makes the mistake. 
My program - SURF GLORIA
In this project volunteers get to enjoy the beautiful Brazilian beaches that Rio is famous for, whilst volunteering. The main goal of the placement is to assist youth from low income communities (favelas) by making surfing accessible to all and awakening their interest for this healthy and enjoyable sport. Consequently, you can help remove them from the streets, motivating them to take part in a physical activity and inhibiting the use of drugs. This project hopes that in the future those youths who benefited from the surf school can continue their work and pass on what they have learnt to benefit the next generations. This project also teaches the children about the importance of the preservation and protection of the environment, passing to the students the importance of the ecosystem in our lives. Along with surfing classes, this project works with the repair of the boards, enabling the students to learn how to generate an income by fixing surf boards. Volunteers also help the children with informal English lessons, helping with warming up and stretches, and supervising the children in the water. A volunteer does not need to know how to surf to participate in this project; you can learn how to surf in the process of helping out. However, volunteers are required to know how to swim

  

 


The "supermoon" appears behind the Mare shanty town complex in Rio de Janeiro, Sunday, May 6, 2012. The moon was the closest it will get to the Earth this year _ and appeared 14 percent larger because of that. At its peak it was about 221,802 miles from Earth. (AP Photo/Victor R. Caivano)



Exercising around the world - THE ARTICLE
Fitness 
Saturday
Strength Training
Back squat working up to a 3 Rep Max
Weighted Pull-Ups working up to a 3 Rep Max
Front Squat to low pins for 3x3
 
Sunday
Sandbag STEEP Hill Sprints for 12 x 30 seconds sprints with 1 minute rest (40 lbs sandbag)
DISCLAIMER: I also fell on a rock and gashed my knee pretty badly and got weird looks from people as I ran down the mountain while I bled profusely with my sandbag on my shoulder.  
Quote of the Day
"Writing and travel broaden your ass if not your mind and I like to write standing up."
Ernest Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment